Monday, October 13, 2008

A Modest Proposal

I called my mother some night a week or so ago with a fun little proposition. We would each come up with a list of movies for the other to watch. Ten of them, and they all had to be things that we knew the other hadn't seen and we were instructed not to keep each others' person ataste in mind. Neither of us could say no to any movie on our list. We had to watch them start to finish, and then write a response.
This was inspired a bit by a memoir I just read called "The Film Club" by film critic David Gilmour where the author allowed his flunking high schooler to drop out on the grounds that they watched three movies a week together. My mother and I always shared a love of movies, but our tastes, though overlapping at times, can be quite different. There are plenty of things that I watch that she would never in a million years think to rent, yet they are important for one reason or another. Ditto goes for me.
I am not looking for this to serve as a way for me and my mother to bond over film, like Gilmour and his son in "The Film Club." What I'm hoping will come of this is a new way of looking at films for me and my mom. I want us to try and peer across, if not even completely bridge, the generational gap between our core cinematic sensibilities. Likewise, I want each of us to be able to give an opinion that we can actually back up when discussing some of our favorites. No more half assed "It probably sucks because it's not up my alley," remarks from either of us!
So, here are the rules as they currently stand:
-We must watch each of the ten movies assigned to us, start to finish
-We must email a response after viewing the movie
-The responses must be responded to
-A third list, consisting of movies neither of us has seen is being considered. More on that as it develops.
What you can expect here are our email correspndances, thoughts and anything else we feel is relevant to our experiment. Enjoy what is sure to be an occasionally interesting look at movies through the eyes of a middle-aged woman who claims to only watch movies to be entertained and her twenty-something son who likes to pretend he's a movie buff.
-Tony (Son)

No comments: