Monday, October 20, 2008

The hopes and fears of millions (actually just two)

While at work today I had that Mom and I should reveal to one another which movies we are most and least looking forward to before we get too far into this (as it stands we have both watched our first films, HARVEY and ELECTION). In addition, we will write down what we predict the other will like and dislike the most by the end of our ten-movie run. Our predictions will be kept a secret, but bellow are the films we are both excited about and, well, not so much...

From Mom:

So, after reviewing the list for the 100th time,I have come to select the movie that I am most looking forward to. This may surprise you....The Thing is the movie I so want to see. The original Halloween is still one of the scariest movies I have ever seen. I loved horror films as a teenager. There's nothing like a good scary movie to get the blood flowing! But somewhere along the way,(probably when I had you rotten kids,) I felt the need to grow up so I stopped watching horror flicks. Let's face it, Big Bird and Snuffy just don't mix well with evil, and blood curdling things that go bump in the night. I will watch this movie with a big bucket of popcorn, and all the lights on, because son, your mother has turned into a big fat chicken.
Now lets face it. We both know which movie I sooooo don't want to see, and that one is South Park. And honestly, I'm not sure why that is. Maybe it's because I can't seem to view a cartoon and not think of Disney or Bugs Bunny. I know that your generation has a different take on animated movies. But to me, it's a "cartoon" and I don't see how it can be as good as a movie with real people. I'm sure the shock value is pretty high too, and we both know that I am not a prude, but there's just something wrong with dirty words being spoken by a cartoon character! The Disney Princesses are not happy with this choice at all!! BUT...I will watch with an open mind. Who knows, you may be creating a monster!!
I look forward to hearing your picks.
Love, MOM

From Tony:
At the risk of giving away my opinion on this I will simply say, "Huh..." and leave it at that. As for myself, the film I am looking the least forward to is just as obvious as yours. I hate the idea that I have to watch Shall We Dance? Did I say hate? Hate isn't strong enough. I think that given the choice of seeing this movie while it was in theaters or having to voluntarily pass a kidney stone I'd do the latter twice. But, and this is a big but, I will sit down with it with an open mind. If I sound harsh now it is just because I want to get all my negativity out of the way BEFORE I see it. Again. A kidney stone. Two of 'em. At the same time, side by side and not one behind the other.
As for looking forward to the most, I'm going to have to say Singin' In The Rain. The movie has the stink (in a good way) of required classic all over it and I do feel a bit ashamed to not have seen it. I remember a scene from when I was very young where they tried to used microphones and all they picked up was the sound of the actors' clothes swishing around, and that's always stuck with me. And of course Gene Kelly in the rain is just such an iconic image that I feel like I have seen it a million times, though 95% of those times were probably in some sort of spoof.

No comments: